|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Route of Clarke's Drove Siding (Setchey Oil Railway)|
This is the route of a narrow gauge (2ft) railway which was built as part of the West Winch (Setchey) Oil Mine (NHER 12556). It is thought to have been in operation between 1920 and 1954, and may have been used to move gravel which had been washed off field surfaces. It is not certain whether all of it was narrow gauge or not, particularly in light of the fact that it is thought to join the main Lynn and Ely Line (NHER 13594).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6265 1397|
|Parish:||WEST WINCH, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Narrow Gauge (2 ft 0 inches) but marked as joining on to main line near South Lynn. Ran to two oil mines (see NHER 12556 and NHER 12557).
Was in fact used for moving gravel washed off surface of fields.
Informant states that (S1) is incorrect in saying that all the branch was narrow gauge; this applied only to some lines within the oil mine, and the main track was standard gauge.
E. Rose (NAU), 27 January 1983.
An informant  has advised that the existing engine shed retains stangard gauge rails, indicating that at least some of the railway was indeed standard gauge.
H. Hamilton (HES), 19 August 2015.
- BRIDGE (Early 20th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1920 AD? to 1954 AD?)
- RAILWAY (Early 20th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1920 AD? to 1954 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Publication: Joby. Lost Railways of Norfolk. |
|12556||Part of: West Winch (Setchey) oilfield (Monument)|