Record Details

NHER Number:13575
Type of record:Monument
Name:Route of Norfolk and Suffolk Joint Railway (Great Yarmouth to Lowestoft)

Summary

This railway was opened in 1903, and changed hands to the LNER in 1936. It was closed to goods trains in 1967, and closed to passengers on 4 May 1970. It ran from a juction to Southtown through North Gorleston Junction to Gorleston Station, North Gorleston on Sea (with goods yard), Gorleston Links and on through Hopton to the county boundary. Gorleston North closed on 5 October after bomb damage and was never reopened, and a bypass has since been built over the area. An estate has since been built over the line at Gorleston.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 5238 0284
Map Sheet:TG50SW
Parish:GREAT YARMOUTH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK
HOPTON ON SEA, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK

Full description

Opened 1903. Changed to LNER 1936.
Closed in 1967 to goods, and in 1970 to passengers.
An estate was built over the line at Gorleston.

Junction to Southtown-North Gorleston Junction-Gorleston- North-Gorleston on Sea-(goods yard)-Gorleston Links (opened later)-Hopton county boundary. Hopton station found to stand on brick arches 20ft (6m) high when subsoil removed in 1981 - see newspaper cutting in file (S1).

The same seen at Gorleston North when embankment destroyed for bypass.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 18 January 1984. (Gorleston North was never reopened after World War Two)

Unit aerial photographs in file.
For the Breydon Viaduct link, sponsored by this company, see NHER 13581.

Report from 1974 (Before by-pass and housing estate) states that the site was derelict and heavily vandalised. Despite that, most buildings remained intact as well as the platforms, including the ironwork and even gas light fittings remained extant.
NIAS records (S2)
W. Arnold HES 17/01/11

Monument Types

  • ARCH (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1903 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • RAILWAY (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1903 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 50 SW 18.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Fiche: Exists.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1981. Underneath the station. 18 May.
<S2>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service