Record Details

NHER Number:13448
Type of record:Building
Name:Hall Farm

Summary

A post medieval farmhouse, saw mill and associated farm buildings. The house was built around 1600 and refaced in 1870. There are two sets of 19th century stables, a 19th century granary and goat house and a barn that was built in 1842. The sawmill was purpose built and contains a sawbench made in 1850. A turbine house is attached to the sawmill; the turbine inside drove machinery in the sawmill.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0618 3911
Map Sheet:TG03NE
Parish:LETHERINGSETT WITH GLANDFORD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Original Letheringsett Hall, about 1600 (pedimented window on north), refaced 1870.
See (S1).

Early 17th century range to north-east, rendered; additional range of 1874.
Four bays, two storeys and attic to original - probably through passage plan. Door between bays 3 and 4 with massive ovolo moulded frame. Off centre stack. Windows renewed.
Left hand gable of coursed flint with 17th century brick dressings, off-centre brick stack blocks first floor opening.
Right hand gable of flint with pedimented attic window, other windows Gothick cast iron. Windowless fifth bay of 1874 range is of flint with 17th century brick dressings.
Some 17th century brick dressings to door and window in gable wall (the description is not at all clear and sounds very much as if the whole of the 1874 wing is in fact recoated 17th century works as (S1) says)
Also listed, stables (now pigsties) early 19th century, eight bays, one storey; barn of 1842, flint and brick, four
steads, kingpost roof, cast iron windows, cart porch.
Machine shed and turbine house, 1852 - former flint and brick with drive wheels from turbine house crosswing; polygonal pit house attached.
Goat house and granary mid 19th century, brick and flint.
Second set of stables, 19th century, four bays.
Information from (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 23 October 1987.

(S3) adds that the lake in the park was made in 1851 to provide a head for the turbine but the present turbine is 1899 by Giles of Kendal. There is also a sawmill with an important Sparke of Norwich sawbench of 1850. Note however that some of the dates in this reference are different to those given previously by Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society.
E. Rose (NLA), 24 November 1993.

For a full description of the sawmill and turbine see (S4).

The turbine house is a small apse at the end of a range of farm buildings, attached to the sawmill. The turbine drove the saw and line shafting of the sawmill and was fed by an artifical lake in Letheringsett Park (NHER 44219).
See (S3).
D. Robertson (NLA), 6 April 2006.

(S5) added to file.
E. Rose (NLA), 18 April 2007.

December 2009.
Proposals to add an external timber staircase to the south-west gable of the annex, demolish the 20th- century open barn and to add barn doors to the north-west elevation.
See (S6) and (S7) for details,
H. White, (NLA), 26 February 2010

Monument Types

  • SAW MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • FARMHOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD to 2050 AD)
  • PIGSTY (Post Medieval to Modern - 1800 AD to 2050 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1800 AD to 2050 AD)
  • ANIMAL SHED (Post Medieval to Modern - 1850 AD to 2050 AD)
  • BARN (Post Medieval to Modern - 1850 AD to 2050 AD)
  • GRANARY (Post Medieval to Modern - 1850 AD to 2050 AD)
  • MACHINE HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1850 AD to 2050 AD)
  • TURBINE HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1850 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG0639 L-N.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Fiche: Exists.
<S1>Article in serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1961. Some Norfolk Halls. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXII pp 163-208. p 192.
<S2>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S3>Article in serial: Durst, D.. 1993. Letheringsett: Industrial Archaeology in a Rural Setting. Part I - Introduction.. NIAS Journal. Vol 5, No 3, pp 200-205. p 203.
<S4>Article in serial: Durst, D.. 1995. Letheringsett; a survey of industrial archaeology in a rural setting.. NIAS Journal. Vol 5, no 5, pp 345ff.
<S5>Unpublished document: 2007. Architectural plans.. 19 February.
<S6>Unpublished document: Listed Building Consent.
<S7>Unpublished document: Nicholas Jacobs Architects. 2009. Design and access statement, Hall Farm, Letheringsett.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service