|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Two medieval cross bases|
In 1892 two medieval cross bases were found in a ditch dividing Church Farm and Kelks Farm. The cross bases had stopedges and some decoration but lacked legible inscriptions. They were moved to the local churchyard (see NHER 2210) in 1935.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 469 131|
|Parish:||WEST WALTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
In ditch dividing Church Farm and Kelks Farm were found two cross bases, 183m (200yds) and 366m (400yds) from farmhouse (which?).
Location perhaps at grid reference.
Bases medieval, with stopedges. Put in churchyard.
OS Inspector visited the crosses in churchyard (NHER 2210) and described them:
'A' TF 47068 13354. An octagonal stopped stone with overall dimensions of 0.7m x 0.7m and standing 0.5m high showing fractured decorated corners; the central octagonal socket has a diameter of 0.4m and is 0.5m deep.
'B' TF 47069 13350. A socket stone standing 0.4m high and 0.65m square with a central socket 0.3m square and 0.05m deep. Neither stone carries a boundary inscription.
In 1935 they were moved to the churchyard.
Information from Ordnance Survey Records.
R. J. Rickett (NAU) 26 February 1990.
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 41 SE 13 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. pp 328-329; Pl 15. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: 1895. Appendix: Extracts from the Proceedings at General and Committee Meetings. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XII pp 335-340. p 336. |
|2210||Related to: St Mary's Church, West Walton (Building)|
Find out more...