Record Details

NHER Number:13364
Type of record:Building
Name:Even Nos 64 to 70 Damgate Street

Summary

Even Nos 64 to 70 are a range of houses that was once continuous, but has now been split in two. They are thought to have been built in the early 16th century, though they were altered in the 17th century, and are timber-framed and brick with underbuilt first-floor jetties.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1087 0129
Map Sheet:TG10SW
Parish:WYMONDHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Three cell timber framed early 16th century house with reused stonework. Altered 17th century.
Survey in file (S1).
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 11 April 1988.

English Heritage Listing:
Nos 64 and 66 Damgate Street.
Two houses, formerly part of range of four. Early 16th century origins with later additions and alterations. Timber-framed with brick, probably with an underbuilt jetty. Roof of black glazed pantiles. Two storeys and dormer attic. Two 20th century doors within reeded cases and under hoods on consoles. Between doors are two late 18th century three-light casements set flush to wall plane. To right of north door a former carriage entrance to rear now with double garage doors. Remains of jetty bressumer to first floor below false timbering. Three early 19th century three-light casements to this floor. Timber eaves cornice below gabled roof. 17th century serrated ridge stack shared with No 68 to south. Two flat-topped dormers with casements.

Nos 68 and 70 Damgate Street.
Range of houses once continuous with Nos 64 to 66, now two. Early 16th century origins with later alterations. Timber-framed and brick, probably with underbuilt jetty to first floor. Colourwashed. Roof of black glazed pantiles. Two storeys. Two 20th century doors, that to south (70) with plastered surround. One three-light late 18th century casement to left of each door. Platband at first floor. Two 3-light 18th century casements to first floor. Gabled roof. Central 17th century serrated stack serving centre houses of range. Internal gable-end stack to south rebuilt 1979 with the stepped gable on which it stands. 19th century brick outshut range to rear.
INTERIOR: No 68 with ground-floor bridging beam decorated with roll moulding, repeated to wall plate on north side. Winder staircase by stack to north side. Interior of No 70 not inspected but likely to be of interest.
Information from (S2)

May 2011. Planning Application.
Internal alterations and new staircase from first to second floor.
See (S3).
Z. Dack (HES), 15 June 2011.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Medieval to Modern - 1500 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • JETTIED HOUSE (Medieval to Modern - 1500 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval to Modern - 1500 AD? to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Unpublished document: Rose, E.. Building Report..
<S2>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S3>Unpublished document: 2012. Planning application..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service