|Type of record:||Building|
The Assembly Rooms were built between 1776 to 1778, facing west. In 1827 a four bay stuccoed south front was added by William Newham. The main room has partially pilastered walls and a 20th century ceiling.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8192 0896|
|Parish:||SWAFFHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Red brick, five bays, two storeys, three bay pediment.
(S1) and Kelly date to 1817, but the orders for the bricks are dated 1776-8.
Information from NCM Bolingbroke Collection.
1996 listing (S1) follows this dating with facade 'added 1817'.
Architects plans (S2) in file.
The assembly rooms have undergone an extensive programme of repairs and refurbishment,
See (S3) for further details,
H. White, (NLA), 28 April 2010
- ASSEMBLY HALL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1776 AD? to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Serial: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B.. 1989. The Buildings of England. Norfolk 2: North-West and South.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. A town where history and innovation go hand in hand.. 2 February. |
Related records - none
Find out more...