|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Guild House|
A complex building that dates back to the 14th century when it used as the guildhall of the guilds of SS Mary and Thomas and St John the Baptist. The east wall of the building has been dated to the 14th century, and has a pair of medieval cusped niches. The timber-framed south wing dates to the 17th century, and part of the guildhall was converted into a barn during this period. In the 18th century the whole building was heightened and converted into three cottages. Major alterations were carried out in the 19th century, which include the arched Gothick windows and the porch. The mock Tudor gable to the west was added in the 1920s. The house has an 18th or 19th century barrel-vaulted wine cellar, and another cellar contains the entrance to the icehouse, which stands in the garden.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 1978 9282|
|Parish:||LONG STRATTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Former guildhall (14th century) of which long wall of medieval brick and flint remains with niches, and possibly other features.
Timber framed 17th century? south extension, part of known conversion to barn before 18th century?
Whole heightened and converted to three cottages in late 18th century. South extension coated and extended in Gothick style early 19th century. Major alterations including new east pile to south wing, new porches, turrets etc. around 1900. West end demolished and replaced by mock Tudor gable in about 1920.
18th century cellars include an icehouse outside building.
See report (S1), architect's drawings (S2) and photographs (S3) in file.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU), 26 August 1987.
- GUILDHALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CELLAR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ICEHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|---||Newspaper Article: 1991. Eastern Daily Press. 22 May. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1987. Building Report.. |
|<S2>||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|<S3>||Photograph: EDH 30-36. |
Related records - none
Find out more...