|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi-period finds scatter|
Metal detecting and fieldwalking on this site has recovered a range of objects including Roman pottery and tile fragments, a piece of a Roman millstone, an Early or Middle Saxon mount, a Late Saxon strap end, and a post medieval coin, brooch and figurine.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 22 03|
|Parish:||CAISTOR ST EDMUND, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Part of large scatter NHER 29994.
1977 to 1978. Metal detecting and fieldwalking.
Roman sherds and tile.
Roman sherds found.
1982. Metal detecting.
Late Saxon strap end.
Roman coins and brooches, post medieval figurine.
Early Saxon/Middle Saxon mount.
NOTE: Eastern part of this site including context 2 is now included within Scheduled Monument 11502, County No. NHER 9813.
E. Rose (NAU), 19 June 1990.
- FINDSPOT (Roman to Late Saxon - 43 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- MILLSTONE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- DRESS COMPONENT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- FURNITURE FITTING (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- DRESS COMPONENT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FURNITURE FITTING (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FIGURINE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|---||Photograph: EWK 13-15, FHN 25-27. |
|29994||Part of: Roman settlement around walled town (Monument)|