|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of late 18th-century smock mill known as Cooke's Mill and later Bristow's Mill|
Site of a tall smock mill built in 1795 or 1797 for Samuel Cooke (and known as Cooke's Mill). The mill is believed to have been the first to be fitted with William Cubitt's 'patent' sails. In 1848 a steam mill was added. The milling complex was sold in 1882 to the Bristow family. The smock mill burnt down in a fire in 1903 however milling continued on this site until 1971.
|Grid Reference:||TG 3762 2495|
|Parish:||STALHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Stump of wind mill built 1797, burnt January 1903. It was the first in the country to have patent sails.
During the Luddite riots thirteen incendiary fires were seen from the top at once. Information from NCM Bolingbroke Collection.
This was a large ten-sided smock mill on brick base. The stump no longer survives - informant.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 March 1982.
The mill was constructed for Samuel Cooke, son of a prominent local farming family. Surviving photographs from the later 19th century show a very large smock mill with wide sails (reputedly 13 feet 10 inches). A steam plant was added in 1848. After the smock mill burnt down in 1903, the steam mill was restored and the business continued on the site, eventually ending in 1971. The former mill site is now part of a housing development, although the Mill House still stands on the Yarmouth Road. For full details see (S1).
A. Yardy (HES), 10, February 2011.
- SMOCK MILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1797 AD to 1903 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Article in serial: Yardy, A.. 2009. Stalham Smock Mill, the Cookes, the Cubitts. Friends of Norfolk Mills Newsletter. 25. |
Related records - none
Find out more...