|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Undated boundary marker stone|
On Bryant's map of Norfolk made in 1826 this spot is marked as Baron's Duel Stone. This is a stone that marks the boundary of three parishes and three hundreds. The name of the stone may be derived from the Early English 'doelan' which means boundary. This might indicate a pre Saxon date for the marker stone. This site has been confused with NHER 16115.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2550 9021|
|Parish:||DENTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|HEMPNALL, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|TOPCROFT, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
At junction of three parishes and three hundreds.
Bryant's map (S1) (early 19th century) marks Baron's Duel Stone (called Barondole Lane on (S2)).
Name may derive from Anglo Saxon 'doelan' = boundary.
If so, does this indicate a pre-Saxon origin?
But compare to site NHER 16115.
One of these maps must be wrong, or else there were two markers. The junction of three parishes seems more likely for such a feature.
E. Rose (NAU), 5 October 1984.
- BOUNDARY MARKER (Unknown date)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...