Record Details

NHER Number:13170
Type of record:Monument
Name:Undated inhumation


This is the approximate site where a human skeleton was found during road widening west of East Runton village in 1906. The remains were of a male and were reinterred in the local churchyard.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 195 426
Map Sheet:TG14SE

Full description

Approximate site where in road widening on hill west of East Runton village in 1906 a human skeleton was found 4ft deep, 5ft 10in to 6ft in height, male, teeth in good condition. Local legend claimed it was a smuggler killed and buried there. Bones reinterred in churchyard.

This may be the same site as the 'findspot of human bones' where the ghostly light that appears at the mill disappears into the ground.
Information from NCM Bolingbroke Collection and (S1).
See detailed discussion in file.

Another version of the story, told to [1] by a very old man some years ago, was that this was a pedlar of watches who showed his money too freely in the local inn.
E. Rose (NAU) 10 March 1982.

Monument Types

  • INHUMATION (Undated)

Associated Finds

  • HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Serial: Bryant, T. H.. 1898-1915. The Churches of Norfolk.. Vols 1-19..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service