|Type of record:||Building|
Converted from a former farmhouse, the exterior of this building is largely 19th century in origin, with some flintwork and a brick wall on the south side the remanants of the original farmhouse. Stairs descending into tunnel in the front yard on the north side could be possible evidence of an Icehouse.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2311 3996|
|Parish:||NORTHREPPS, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
'Elizabethan' building, converted from a former farmhouse.
Information from NCM Bolingbroke Collection.
Writer must have meant Elizabethan-style building, unless it is very restored, for porch tower, stepped gables, chimneys etc are all late 19th century, similar to estate houses of same type elsewhere in parish. Patches of old flintwork remain, and some brick in a south facing gable seems old, presumably parts of the farmhouse. 19th century stables on north. Staircase descends in tunnel in front yard on north side. Is this to an icehouse, or cellars?
Visited E. Rose (NAU), 9 October 1978.
1988. Listed Grade II.
C17th house adapted and enlarged in the C18th and C19th. Brick, flint with brick dressings with tile and pantile roofs. Irregular plan. Entrance front of 2 storeys, 5 bays. Left hand gabled bay projects forward; an early C19 sash with glazing bars each to ground, first and attic floors; C19 crow- stepped gables. 2 C19 casements to second bay. C19 brick porch of 2 storeys to third bay. Casement with hood mould over to first floor. Fourth and fifth bays have C18 sash windows with glazing bars to ground and first floors; wall extended to right probably in C19 ending in C19 crow-stepped gable. Gabled attic casement. C19 brick and terracotta shafts to chimney stacks. Limited access.
H. White (NLA), 9 April 2009
Story is made even more unlikely by the fact that this building is marked as the Hall on (S1).
(S2) states building is basically 17th century, but otherwise describes 18th-19th century exterior only.
E. Rose (NAU), 8 August 1989.
Source states that there is an 'ancient cellar'. .
E.Rose (NAU), 24 November 1998.
9 April 2009.
A tiny Bible, notebook and bonnet belonging to Elizabeth Fry was discovered in the attic of the house.
See (S3) for further details.
H. White (NLA), 9 April 2009
- CELLAR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ICEHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOOK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. 'Thrilling' Fry artefact found in trunk. 9 April. |
Related records - none
Find out more...