|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Cropmarks of a possible Roman farmstead or settlement|
Cropmarks of rectilinear enclosures and trackways, probably defining a small settlement or farmstead of Roman date, are visible on aerial photographs. Two groups of enclosures are located on each side of a north to south aligned trackway. Finds of Roman pottery in the vicinity (NHER 1602) support the dating of this site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7343 3705|
|Parish:||SEDGEFORD, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Cropmarks of several small rectangular enclosures each side of a north-to-south track or street, divided by small 'alleys'. These marks are very restricted, occurring only on a dark patch of some natural formation not present elsewhere in field.
Located by E. Rose (NAU), 17 January 1978.
March 2006. Norfolk NMP.
Cropmarks of rectilinear enclosures and trackways, probably defining a small settlement of Roman date, are visible on aerial photographs (S1-2). The central grid reference for these cropmarks has been amended from TF 7334 3702 to
TF 7343 3706. These are most complete to the south of the Sedgeford to Docking road, but fragmentary cropmarks are also present to the north. Two groups of rectilinear enclosures are present on either side of a possible north to south aligned road or track. This trackway is defined by 2m wide ditches, measures up to 12.5m wide and is visible for a distance of at least 75m. Parallel ditches along its western side, may define a narrow path alongside the main trackway, or could possibly represent a different phase of activity. At least three rectilinear enclosures are present to the west of the trackway. Although not completely visible as cropmarks, they appear to be arranged end on to the road and measure at least 76m long by 20m to 36m wide. The largest of the enclosures, which is the southernmost of the three, is sub-divided into a number of smaller rectilinear enclosures. These vary in size and shape with a rectangular enclosure measuring 15m by at least 50m and a larger L-shaped enclosure measuring between 23m and 36m wide by 42m long. To the east of the trackway is a group of overlapping rectilinear enclosures representing several phases of activity. Because these enclosures a lie on a very similar alignment, it is difficult to fully separate the phases and define individual enclosures. However, it appears that they range in size from 7m by 15m up to 15m by 16m. Two west to east aligned parallel ditches along the southern side of this group of enclosures may represent a second trackway. Isolated sections of linear ditch on a similar alignment to these two groups of enclosures are present to the east and north. These probably indicate that the enclosures extend into these areas but that they are not fully visible as cropmarks. The main area of cropmarks is visible on an area of different soils or geology to the south of the road. Cropmark formation in the surrounding area is not as clear, masking the full extent of this site. It is likely that these groups of enclosures relate to a small settlement or farmstead of probable Roman date, which is arranged alongside a road or trackway. Pottery of Roman date, including 3rd to 4th century mortaria, has previously been found within this area (NHER 1602).
J. Albone (NMP), 06 March 2006.
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- TRACKWAY (Unknown date)
- FARMSTEAD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TRACKWAY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1976. NHER TF 7337H-L (NLA 33/AGE3-6) 20-JUL-1976. |
|<S2>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: CUCAP. 1976. CUCAP (BXU19) 21-JUN-1976. |
Related records - none
Find out more...