Record Details

NHER Number:13066
Type of record:Monument
Name:Possible site of a medieval double moated vicarage

Summary

An historical source states that in 1349 there was a double moated vicarage at Redenhall, which was divided in two by a wall to separate the vicar's portion from that of the rector appointed by Bungay nunnery. This is the nearest known moated site to Redenhall church, and there are cropmarks of a moated site with inner and outer moats, as well as a portion of what may be a second moat.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 263 838
Map Sheet:TM28SE
Parish:REDENHALL WITH HARLESTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1976.
Cropmarks of moated site with inner and outer moats. To north-east portion of what may be a second moat. Between them, other markings.
Located by E. Rose (NAU), 16 January 1978.

Reference (S1) states that in 1349 there was a double moated vicarage at Redenhall, which was divided in two by a wall to separate the vicar's portion from that of the rector appointed by Bungay nunnery. This is the nearest known moated site to Redenhall church.
E.Rose (NAU), 15 March 1993.

Monument Types

  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SITE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • VICARAGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TM 2683A-F.
<S1>Article in monograph: Dymond, D. 1993. Vicarages and appropriated livings. An Historical Atlas of Norfolk. Wade-Martins, P. (ed). pp 62-63.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service