|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible medieval pottery works, Roman to post medieval objects|
In 1977 fieldwalking took place on this field following ploughing for the first time. The field is referred to as 'burntyards', and a large quantity of medieval pottery sherds were recovered from the site, as well as some Roman, Late Saxon and post medieval sherds. A few post medieval metal objects, as well as concentrations of shell fragments and brick were also noted.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9201 2361|
|Parish:||WHISSONSETT, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
1977. 'Many hours' fieldwork on field ploughed for first time in living memory, after ploughsoil weathered; soil clay with many gravel patches.
Field name 'Burntyards'.
Roman coarse ware.
Late Saxon Thetford ware.
Medieval sherds and brick, medieval Grimston ware in large quantities, medieval Fulmodestone-type wares.
Post-16th century sherds, slag, iron key, pottery and horse bit.
George II halfpenny, George III penny.
Whetstone, several fragments of lava querns.
Oyster, cockles and mussel shells in concentrations.
The sherds and brick were also in concentrations.
Identified by P. Wade-Martins (NAU).
Grid reference corrected 1979 by .
Original of (S1) provided for photocopying by .
J. Allen (NLA), 30 November 2004.
- POTTERY WORKS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Undated)
- WHETSTONE (Undated)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- QUERN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HARNESS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- KEY (LOCKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Virgoe, N., Pooley, R., and Yaxley, D.. 2004. Plans of Whissonsett Excavations September 1977. |
Related records - none
Find out more...