Record Details

NHER Number:12741
Type of record:Building
Name:Lodge Farm House, 21 Bridge Street

Summary

A late 16th or early 17th century house with a rear projection containing cellar and stairs and traces of a removed porch tower. It was extended north and south, possibly in about 1700. Other additions and alterations were carried out through the 18th to 19th centuries. A vaulted underground structure, possibly an 18th century plunge bath, was uncovered in the back garden during works in 1988.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9713 4292
Map Sheet:TF94SE
Parish:STIFFKEY, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Late 16th/early 17th century house with rear projection containing cellar and stairs etc and traces of a removed porch tower. Stopped beams, fireplaces. Extended north and south around 1700? Other additions and alterations through 18th to 19th centuries. See report (S1) in file.

November 1951. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
House. Second half of 16th century and 17th century. Walls flint, brick dressings. Roof red pantiles. T plan farmhouse, 2 storey attics. Canted wing to N and wing to E form earliest, late 16th century , parts of house. Two storey, 4 bay house added in 17th century. Sash windows, plate glass; arched window over door, tripartite sash, panelled door case, reveals, half canopy, 2 arched lights to 4 panelled door: all these details late 19th century. Random brick surrounds indicate position of former brick mullioned windows. S gable, kneelero, brick parapet coped. Two moulded brick stacks, to S, and on part wall with N wing. N wing: brick string course marks plinth. One bay, 2 storey, 2 tripartite windows. At N kneelers, brick coped parapet, and, on gable external chimey projecting, flint at ground floor, brick with moulded brick string course, tumbled angles, moulded stack 17th century. Two attic gable windows either side of flue. W wing (rear) of similar date, projecting chimney, flint ground floor, brick dressing, moulded brick string course, angles and parapet (later stack). Gables flint brick quoins, fireplace windows at first floor and at gable attics, latter partly filled in by chimney. Outshuts to single pile frontage: 2 storey, flint pantiled wing to S.
Information from (S2).

Listed building description, Grade II (S2) differs in interpretation, see report (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 25 February 1987.

1988.
Structure, underground, unearthed in back garden.
Seems to be a vaulted water receptacle; an 18th century plunge bath?
Filled with 19th century sanitary wares.

Now backfilled as soakaway. See report (S3) and photographs (S4) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 19 February 1988.

Monument Types

  • BATH HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WATER TANK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 677.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1987. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1171452.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NAU). 1988. Report on underground structure.
<S4>Photograph: Rose, E. (NAU). 1988. EGK 6 & 7.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service