|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||1 Church Street and site of medieval guildhall|
The site of a medieval guildhall, marked on a map of about 1600. The present flint and brick cottage is probably 17th century with an 18th century addition to the east. The older west part contains a form of cruck truss, the only example discovered so far in Norfolk. Also the arrangement of beams at the west end suggests a fire hood, which is most unusual for the county.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9714 4308|
|Parish:||STIFFKEY, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of Guildhall, marked on map of about 1600 belonging to .
25 August 1977. Site Visit. Site marked on map as vacant plot.
House now partly on site, 1 Church Street; see Royal Commission for Historic Monuments report (S1) in file.
Details late 17th century half-cruck, perhaps originally full cruck reused. Wooden firehood argued from gap in walling.
Exterior of house late 18th/early 19th century flint box. Listed (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 1980.
December 1979. Site Visit, RCHM.
The present building is constructed of flint and brick and has been much patched and altered. The oldest part of the building is on the west, and consists of one room with an unlit roof space above. The arrangement of beams and joists at the west end was found to be similar to examples where there has previously been a timber and plaster firehood. The main spine beam at the east side of the room which carries a cruck truss may be an insertion and the truss may be reused. The cruck cannot be dated, but the form of the timber suggests it was not constructed earlier than the 17th century. The main beams are also likely of 17th century date. Beyond this room, the remainder of the structure has been rebuilt.
See (S1) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 09 June 2008.
The Listing description (S2) states that firehoods are rare in Norfolk but this is no longer the case, a number are now known. (S3) states that the map in question has been cleaned and he is by no means sure this is the site that is indicated for the guildhall.
E. Rose (NLA), 23 February 2007.
- GUILDHALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 677. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: RCHM. 1979. No. 1 Church Street (The Old Reading Room), Stiffkey, Norfolk. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1171483. |
|<S3>||*Verbal Communication: Smallwood, J.. 2007. [unknown]. |
Related records - none
Find out more...