Record Details

NHER Number:12727
Type of record:Building
Name:Stinton Hall Farmhouse

Summary

A 17th century and later three storey farmhouse, the top storey being in gables that rise up from the façade, the central gable projecting as a porch tower. The west extension dates to 1888. It was reported in 2003 that a number of original fireplaces had been uncovered.

Images - none

Documents/files/web pages

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1158 2555
Map Sheet:TG12NW
Parish:SALLE, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Three bays, three storeys, top storey being in gables that rise up from the façade, the central one projecting as a porch tower. These gables are stepped and rise to pinnacle-like tops. Brickwork in sides of porch is in English bond, but remainder is Flemish. Probably genuine 17th century, though brickwork is unusual for this date. Certainly older than extension of 1888 on west. Window surrounds all renewed in concrete.
Very good condition.
E. Rose (NAU), 17 August 1977.

1984 listing (Grade II) (S1) believes all façade a 19th century refacing on original plan. Mentions paired chimneys at gables.
E. Rose (NAU), 21 January 1985.

2003.
Estate manager [1] reports a number of original fireplaces with bresummers uncovered.
E. Rose (NLA), 17 May 2003.

October 2007. Visit.
Building has been dated to the 17th century with major refurbishment in the early 18th century and expansion in 1888.
See (S2) for further details.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 16 October 2007.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S2>Unpublished document: Heywood, S.. 2007. Stinton Hall Farmhouse, Salle, A Brief Record.. September.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service