|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval quay and finds, 1 St George's Street|
A wooden post with planking attached, probably part of a medieval quay, was found about a metre from the river during works in 1960. Also found were animal bones and pieces of medieval pottery.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2308 0887|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
1960. City Art School.
Digging of new foundations for a chimney below the river bank and about 1m (3 feet) from the edge of the river.
Wooden post about 15cm by 15cm by 10cm (6 inches by 6 inches x by 4 inches) long found at an angle of 45 degrees with planking at right angles to it.
Probably part of a quay. Found in black river silt.
13th/14th century pottery and animal bones also found.
- WHARF (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Jennings, S. 1981. Eighteen Centuries of Pottery from Norwich. East Anglian Archaeology. No 13. |
|---||Serial: 1960. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries for 1960. No 7. p 4. |
|---||Record Card: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich. |
|428||Part of: Second Precinct of Dominican Friary, Blackfriars, St Andrew's Hall (Monument)|
Find out more...