Record Details

NHER Number:12596
Type of record:Building
Name:St Ann's House, 14, 16 and 18 St Anne's Street

Summary

This is a large mid 17th century three storey house with some reused medieval stone, refaced in the late 18th century and subdivided in the 19th century. The façade is nine window bays wide and has a central porch tower. The two rear wings are 17th century. Inside, the first floor gives fine views of St Nicholas' Chapel (NHER 5549) and several rooms have carved oak panelling. The building has now been converted to offices. During renovation work in 1999, a doorway was discovered in the main entrance passage. This has been dated to about 1400 and indicates that parts of the house may be much older than previously thought.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6175 2049
Map Sheet:TF62SW
Parish:KING’S LYNN, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Called 'St Ann's House' but not the same as NHER 13905.
Large building apparently built against earlier boundary wall of 16th century brick and reused limestone to north. On the site of a medieval bishop's house. The present building is 17th century, refaced and extended in the late 18th century and subdivided in the 19th century. Very fine Jacobean woodwork but this was very probably brought in in 19th century, also some stained glass. Examples of glazed bricks, one in KLM.
Much slag in garden.
See (S1) in file.
No. 18 empty in 1985. Nos. 14 and 16 used a concrete firm headquarters.
E. Rose (NAU), 2 August 1985.

Architect's drawings (S2) and press cuttings (S3) to (S6) in file.
Listed Grade II (S7).
Details of grounds in (S8).

1990. Site visit.
The outbuildings have been removed. A stone arch and/or stone quoins were reported to be visible on either side of the front door. This may have been only reused material, but this could have come from the postulated bishop's house. E.M. James (KLM) is doubtful about whether the bishop's house did actually stand on this site.
E. Rose (NAU), 11 February 1991.

August 1994. Site visit during demolition of outbuildings to north-east.
This revealed that the postulated boundary wall that forms the lower section of the north wall abutted on the west wall of the outbuilding and did not continue further east. It was also found that the south wall of the outbuilding was integral with the north gable wall of the main house. The garden face of the south garden wall was examined and was found to have four large four-centred arches, bricked up, and a fifth some distance away. These resemble the arcaded faces of the basement walls of the warehouses on the 16th and 17th century on King Street, and may once have formed part of such a structure.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 August 1994.

January 1999.
Building restored over several years. Stripping of part of the north wall of the main entrance passage between the porch and the restored staircase has revealed an early 15th century doorway. It seems to be set in an original wall.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 February 1999.

2003.
Reported discovery of large brick vaulted cellars beneath car park to the north of the building. These were flooded but photographs show vaulting ribs suggesting a large medieval or early post-medieval date, with lower arches to side chambers below water level.
E. Rose (NLA), 17 December 2003.

(S8) suggests that the building in the north-east corner of the garden may have been a menagerie or orchid house.
E. Rose (NLA).

Monument Types

  • BISHOPS PALACE? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CELLAR (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1400 AD? to 1900 AD?)
  • WALL (Medieval - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
  • GARDEN WALL (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
  • WAREHOUSE? (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1500 AD to 1699 AD)
  • GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1650 AD? to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds

  • SLAG (Undated)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STAINED GLASS (WINDOW) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TF 8832C - F.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 498.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1985. 14, 16, 18 St Anne's Street ("St Anne's House"). Building Report.
<S2>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1990. Facelift for fine old building. 10 April.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1990. Court sees job on old house. 21 September.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1990. Historic site has great potential. 13 November.
<S6>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. Changes sought for St Ann's House. 8 April.
<S7>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1195421.
<S8>Unpublished Document: Taigel, A. 1997. Norfolk Gardens Trust: Town Gardens Survey - Volume One. Norfolk Gardens Trust.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service