Record Details

NHER Number:12583
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval brickworks/kilns


The brick remains of two lime kilns have been recorded here, one of which is in a decent state of preservation. A number of corrugated iron sheds used for whiting stand to the north of these kilns, and to the east are the possible remains of a brick kiln and brickworks. The presence of a mill and vats, dating to the 18th/19th centuries, have been noted. All of these structures are visible on the 1886 Ordnance Survey map.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2195 0569
Map Sheet:TG20NW

Full description

6 June, 1977. E. Rose (NAU).
Pearce's Whiting Works

Lime kiln. Also used for whiting.
Pot filled with earth to ground level - only a wing of bricks remain visible.
Two sloping entrances emerge some feet away on southwest and northeast, with almost circular openings.
Northeast has circumference complete, but is full of rubble.
Southwest has recently been cleared out.
A secondary kiln was nearby, and traces of brickwork to east may be remains of this.
E. Rose (NAU) 6 June 1977.

There are several remains of corrugated iron whiting sheds to north, and at 2198 2273, in base of a deep pit now filled with rubbish, what appears to be an old flint wall against the base of the pit; but this is probably of no consequence and so has not (yet at least) been numbered.

See (S1) for history of whiting works (lime kiln here since late 18th century) and description of mill and vats remaining.
Also mention of traces of a brickworks.
The other kiln was in fact some distance to the northwest, see 1926 25in Ordnance Survey.

Site extended, now including sites NHER 13988, 9594 and 9447, and also including previousely un-numbered wall mentioned above, on basis of 1886 first edition 25in Ordnance Survey which shows both lime kilns, the whole of the whiting works, plus a brick kiln and brickworks.
E. Rose (NLA) 15 September 2000.

Originally recorded in the parishes of Eaton and Lakenham, now part of Norwich.

See also NIAS records (S2)
W. Arnold (HES) 08/12/2010

Monument Types

  • BRICK KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BRICKWORKS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • LIME KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • VAT HALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Fiche: Exists.
<S1>Article in Serial: Jones, J. and Jones, J. 1978. Pearce's Whiting Works. Journal of the Norfolk Industrial Archaeological Society. Vol II No 3 pp 25-28.
<S2>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service