|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Post medieval lime kiln|
A post medieval lime kiln of fine workmanship stands here. It has a large tunnel, a brick barrel vault and arched lime chutes. It is now in use as a bat roost after an abortive attempt to restore it.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 1940 9570|
|Parish:||THARSTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Lime kiln, of fine workmanship.
Information from member of the public .
Has a large tunnel, about 2m high, and very wide. Brick barrel vault springing from flint walls. Arched lime chutes.
Entrance by arched doorway at foot of steps (open).
Information from photographs taken by , who is restoring it.
E. Rose (NAU) 3 December 1981.
However any restoration work must have ceased soon afterwards as the structure is now derelict and on the Buildings at Risk Register. It is a bat roost. See correspondence in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 10 March 1998.
Listed Grade II.
See newspaper cutting in file (S1).
This site is noted in White's (S2) and Kelly's (S3) directories from 1836 to 1937 showing lime burning and extraction activities. Lime burning is not mentioned after 1925 so it is probable that the site moved to sand and gravel extraction.
The site is also marked on the Tithe map 1839 (enclosure 428) (S4) and on the 25ins O.S. map 1905 as a kiln, pit and tramway (S5). This tramway is visible on the 1946 R.A.F. aerial photographic survey.
NIAS records (S6)
W. Arnold (HES) 15/12/2010
- LIME KILN (Post Medieval to Modern - 1836 AD? to 1925 AD?)
- TRAMWAY (Modern - 1905 AD? to 1937 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1990. Time to act in cause of history. 19 April. |
|<S2>||Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk. |
|<S3>||Directory: Kelly, E.. Kelly's Directory of Norfolk.. |
|<S4>||Map: 1839. Tithe map. |
|<S5>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 2nd edition (revised 1902-7). |
|<S6>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
|MNO10337||Related to: Lime Kiln Furze Hill Low THARSTON (Revoked)|
Find out more...