|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval brickworks|
According to Ordnance Survey maps a post medieval brickworks existed here. A visit to the site found in 1977 found it had been disused for a long time although a single large 19th century cottage survived on site. By 1836 the area was marked on maps as a ‘brickground'.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 184 378|
|Parish:||SUSTEAD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
'Brick works' marked on Ordnance Survey.
Obviously not in use for many years: mostly grassed over; some water-filled pits.
One building survives, a large cottage, apparently late 19th century.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 17 March 1977.
(S1) marks a lime kiln on this site.
But by the 1st edition of the 1in Ordnance Survey map 1836 it had become a 'brickground'.
- BRICKWORKS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LIME KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PIT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
Related records - none
Find out more...