Record Details

NHER Number:12327
Type of record:Building
Name:The Vicarage

Summary

This building dates to around 1600 and has stepped and shaped gables. The west front has a central flint patch with traces of original windows; this is surrounded by brickwork which extends and heightens the house. At the south end of the west front is a small turret-like projection rising to first-floor level with two tiny windows, one blocked. Other architectural features of note include chequered brickwork, which appears across the building.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1823 3700
Map Sheet:TG13NE
Parish:SUSTEAD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

South gable of around 1600 which cannot decide whether to be stepped or shaped, so it does both. West front has central flint patch with traces of original windows; this is surrounded by brickwork of around 1600 extending and heightening the house. Brickwork is chequered and windows have hoodmoulds. At south end of west front is a small turret-like projection rising to first-floor level with two tiny windows, one blocked. South wall has moulded string course, repeated in a lean-to east extension, also in chequered brick, but at a lower level. Very good condition.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 16 March 1977.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources - none

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service