Record Details

NHER Number:12270
Type of record:Building
Name:Hainford Hall

Summary

A three storey red brick country house with a 7 bay façade. Listed as late 18th century. Long term unoccupied and part of a car breaker's yard.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 231 186
Map Sheet:TG21NW
Parish:HAINFORD, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

3 March 1977. Visited.
Massive seven bay three storey red brick box, probably early 19th century.
Brick porch like a smaller box. Moulded cornice.
On rear (east) is a wooden bay window on the ground floor, and a stone plaque hidden by a supporting beam.
Small extension to south with imitation shaped gable.
The whole is totally derelict and about to fall, held up by a wooden framework, yet part of the cornice which has collapsed is being repaired. Used as a huge car dump.
E. Rose (NAU), 3 March 1977.

In 1894 a dog was trapped in a drain under the lawn, and may still be there.

(S1) dates to late 18th century, of T plan.

May 1998.
Part of building collapsed, the condition not having changed since 1977. Photograph (S2) copies in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 28 August 1998.

Press cutting (S3) in file.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 536.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S2>Photograph: Broadland Council. 2005. 20050982.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2007. Will this historic hall show off its grand designs again?. 9 August.

Related records

MNO1261Related to: Hainford Hall Hall Road HAINFORD (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service