Record Details

NHER Number:12176
Type of record:Building
Name:Crabbs Castle Farm

Summary

The cottages on this farm were among the first buildings in modern times to be built in concrete using a 19th century method of pouring between shuttering. However, this led to sinkage in later years, so the process fell out of use and concrete was not revived as a building material until the 20th century. The cottages fell derelict before being restored recently but the other farm buildings, dated to 1799 and later, survived in better condition and did not require any remedial work.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9092 3944
Map Sheet:TF93NW
Parish:WIGHTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Cottages on this farm were among the first buildings in modern times to be built in concrete - a 19th century method of pouring between shuttering which led to sinkage in later years, so the process fell out of use and concrete was not revived as a building material until the 20th century.
Cottages now derelict - information from member of the public [1] in 1977.
E. Rose (NAU) 13 May 1980.

Some of the cottages have now been rehabilitated, but it is not clear if these are the early ones. The original farm buildings of brick are dated 1799.
1983 Listing lists Nos.45-48 as original concrete cottages and dates them to 1878.
The main farmhouse is listed as brick, early 19th century; but the 1799 barns are apparently not listed.
E. Rose (NAU) 28 July 1983.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval to Modern - 1799 AD to 2050 AD)
  • FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval to Modern - 1799 AD to 2050 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1878 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF 9039A,B.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A.. 1995. TF9039/C - E; TF9139/G.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service