Record Details

NHER Number:12169
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval brick kiln

Summary

A post medieval brick kiln that may have been in use during the early 19th century when alterations to Barningham Hall were carried out. The kiln was first noted in 1977 and was resurveyed in 2006 as part of the Woodland Rapid Identification Survey.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1516 3535
Map Sheet:TG13NE
Parish:MATLASK, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Late 1976/early 1977. In grounds of Barningham Hall, southwest of wood marked at Brick Kiln Wood on Ordnance Survey.
A fallen tree revealed a brick structure. The roots of the tree contained most of the rectangular roof, at least 2.1m (7ft) square, of brick, and the top of an arch, the bricks of which were covered in a green glaze that had run into globules before hardening. Bricks had flint pebble inclusions. In the hole left by the tree only a mass of brick rubble and sand remained. Almost certainly a brick kiln. The size of the bricks is approximately the same as those used in Repton's extensions to the Hall (see NHER 6569) of 1805 to 18077. The only peculiarity is that the tree must have been at least 150 years old. Perhaps it was deliberately planted to cover the remains of the kiln?
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) with [1], 3 February 1977.

February 2006. Walkover Survey.
Woodland Archaeological Earthwork Rapid Identification Survey. Matlaske Wood, Site 3:
Stump of a fallen tree has exposed brickwork which corresponds to the previously described probable brick kiln - NGR amended from previous TG 1509 3533.
Site now more overgrown than in 1977.
See report (S1) for details of clay pits at NHER 12170 and elsewhere that may be associated.
D. Gurney (NLA), 15 March 2006.

Monument Types

  • BRICK KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Unpublished Contractor Report: Cushion, B. 2006. Barningham Estate (Part) Woodland Archaeological Earthwork Rapid Identification Survey. Brian Cushion Archaeological & Cartographical Surveyor.

Related records

30431Part of: Barningham Park (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service