|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Spinky Den and The Cottage, Church Close|
This building which was formerly The Old Plough Inn has now been split into two properties. It dates to the 15th/16th centuries, with a three cell structure and two storeys. It underwent alterations in the 17th century and later periods. Of note is the particularly fine medieval doorframe, and wall paintings that date to around 1700. Intriguingly, a hoard of horse skulls were discovered behind a fireplace in 2001, but the reasons behind this placement are unknown.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9581 0731|
|Parish:||SHIPDHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Formerly The Old Plough Inn on Old Road.
1981. Norwich Survey.
Building now in two occupations described by Alan Carter (UEA) as 15th/16th century three cell, two storey street range, with rear wing added early 16th century part open hall; extended and much altered 17th century and later. Very fine medieval doorframe, and wall paintings dating to around 1700?
See (S1), states as possible 16th century building.
Seen by E. Rose (NLA) 1986 and T. E. Miller (NLA) 7 December 2005.
See press cuttings (S2-S5) in file.
2001. Hoard of horse skulls found behind a fireplace and replaced. No details known.
E. Rose (NLA) 22 May 2006.
- HOUSE (Medieval to Modern - 1500 AD to 2050 AD)
- INN (Medieval to Modern - 1500 AD to 2050 AD)
- RITUAL ARTEFACT (Unknown date)
- WALL PAINTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 646-647. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: CVT 9-12, SF 4-12. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Carter, A.. Building Survey. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. [Articles on the wall painting at Spinky Den]. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Grant to restore paintings. 27 January. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: Mid Norfolk Advertiser. 1987. Cottage view of the past. 30 January. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Restoration discovery. 14 April. |
|<S6>||*Verbal Communication: Gayton, A. (Breckland DC). 2006. [unknown]. 12 May. |
|MNO8282||Related to: Spinky Den & The Cottage, Church Close, SHIPDHAM (Revoked)|
Find out more...