Record Details

NHER Number:11962
Type of record:Building
Name:The Old Hall, Fair Green, Middleton

Summary

An early 18th century carstone, flint and brick hall built around an older core. The hall was once surrounded by a medieval moat that is thought to have been the home of the de Scales family before the construction of Middleton Towers (NHER 3393). The complex includes an 18th century dovecote and a range of 18th century barns that contain a large amount of reused medieval stonework. The carstone and brick garden wall has an octagonal turret. Medieval documents mention a deer park that was associated with the medieval house.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6606 1714
Map Sheet:TF61NE
Parish:MIDDLETON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Old Hall Farm is described in (S1) as a moated site that may have been the original house of the Scales family before they occupied Middleton Towers. The present house is of about 1700 with an addition dated 1753. The only trace of the moat is a landscaped pond to the north.
Information from (S2).

June 1981. Field Observation.
Above information seems to be correct. The older part of the house is the north-to-south wing. This wing is low, of carrstone, not of great interest. The northwest side of the moat is not very landscaped. It has suggestions of the west side, and a pond to the southeast of the house may also be a part. The dovecot is of yellow brick, thatched, and is supposed to be older than the house but looks 18th century.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 June 1981.

1978 NAU air photograph shows a semi-circular lake at the northwest corner, in front of the dovecote.
It does not appear on the 1974 air photograph, and was not noted by E. Rose (NAU) in 1981.
1369 inquisition taken on the death of Robert Scales refers to a deer park.
E. Rose (NLA) 27 May 1993.

1995. Field Observation.
A shallow (0.5m) depression to the south and east of the garden may be a remnant of the moat, but is at a slightly higher level than that noted to the north where the semi-circular lake noted may be a landscaped extension to the northern 'arm'. The garden wall, southeast of the house, is carrstone and brick (some medieval) with half of an octagonal turret as a garden feature projecting into depression. Drainage channels to the south and east of the farm, with one banked and ditched incomplete enclosure to east of drive.
B. Cushion (NLA) March 1995.

For full details of the house, and the dovecote (confirmed as 18th century), see (S3).

February 2005. Field Observation.
The complex includes a range of barns and stables constructed about 1800 which contain a large quantity of reused medieval ecclesiastical stonework.
See (S5) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 19 February 2005.

2008.
Two of the barns described above are to be converted into dwellings.
See details in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 14 March 2008.

Monument Types

  • ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
  • DEER PARK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • GARDEN WALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • DOVECOTE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF6617G-H,T, TF 6517G, TF6617L-Z = CUCAP BWM 59-61, BAT 85-8.
---Photograph: KWQ 23-25.
---Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 61 NE 19.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Article in serial: 1932. Archaeological Journal. Vol 89, p 376.
<S2>Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards.
<S3>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. Eastern Daily Press. 11 November.
<S5>Unpublished document: Rose, E. (NLA). 2005. Building Report..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service