Record Details

NHER Number:11945
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of St Mary's and St Julian's Hospital, Bridge Street

Summary

St Mary's and St Julian's Hospital was established around 1135 for poor travellers and pilgrims. The hospital was presumably dissolved in the 16th century and by 1777 it is believed that the ruins were declared a nuisance and pulled down. Although the exact location of the hospital is unknown, several 18th and 19th century references describe it as standing at Thetford Bridge and an 18th century map depicts a chapel at this location.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 8687 8310
Map Sheet:TL88SE
Parish:THETFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Site of the hospital of St Mary and St Julian.
Located on the east side of Bridge Street north of the bridge.
Site marked on (S1) as the ruins of the hospital of St Mary and St Julian, founded around 1135 for poor travellers and pilgrims and presumably dissolved around the 16th century. The ruins were declared a nuisance and pulled down in 1777. See (S2).
Information from (S3).

Thomas Martin's map (S1) depicts a chapel at roughly this location but it is not named. However, this location appears to be correct as it is confirmed by a deed of Sara Sothery which describes the hospital as 'ad ponte Thetford', at Thetford bridge (S4). In the early 19th century Blomefield (S5) describes the hospital house as still standing 'at the bridge foot', but notes that the chapel had been demolished and its exact location was not known.
See (S4) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 18 August 2008.

Monument Types

  • HOSPITAL (Medieval - 1135 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Map: Martin, T.. 1740. MSS map. 2.
<S2>Publication: Knowles, D. and Hadcock, R. N. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. pp 335, 398.
<S3>Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards.
<S4>Monograph: Dallas, C.. 1993. Excavations in Thetford.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 62. p 217.
<S5>Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol II. p 79.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service