|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Hempstead Mill/Holt Water mill|
Hempstead Mill, despite its name, is actually in Holt. First recorded on the 1839 tithe map, it is a three storey flint and brick building with a pantiled roof and an adjoining mill house at its southeast end. The adjacent bakery was added in 1911.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0946 3806|
|Parish:||HOLT, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Wheel removed and replaced by water turbine, but most machinery intact. Complete bakery remains in adjacent buildings.
Closed in 1947; information from Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society.
E. Rose (NAU) 14 July 1981.
The river was diverted to run through the mill and there were boundary disputes. Eventually it was ruled that the mill was in Holt, but it is still known as Hempstead Mill.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 October 1981.
Detailed descriptions and drawings in (S1).
First recorded on Holt tithe map 1839.
Has exterior wheel for attaching steam engine. Bakery was built in 1911. Mill is of flint with red brick trimmings has façade of four bays, four storeys, under one hipped roof with adjoining mill house of three bays, three storeys. Central bay has door with two blank windows above.
Has since been sold and converted with non-approved windows, which the council are trying to have removed.
E. Rose (NAU), 25 September 1983.
The mill is noted in White's and Kelly's directories (S2 and S3) between 1839 and 1937.
NIAS records (S4)
W. Arnold HES 04/01/11
- BAKERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1839 AD to 1937 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 559. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: 1983. NIAS Journal. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Journal. Vol III, No 2. |
|<S2>||Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk. |
|<S3>||Directory: Kelly, E.. Kelly's Directory of Norfolk.. |
|<S4>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
|MNO1491||Related to: Water Mill and Mill House Hempstead Road HOLT (Revoked)|
Find out more...