Record Details

NHER Number:11832
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Old Hall, East Farm, Leziate


This is the possible site of a medieval hall, and is marked as Old Hall Close on the tithe map of 1843. A medieval gilt and copper alloy rowel spur has been found on the site. A right angled linear feature of unknown date is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 7120 1993
Map Sheet:TF71NW

Full description

1974. Against east side of wood on eastern edge of East Farm yard.
Linear cropmark forming a right angle.
Air photograph checked by E. Rose (NAU) 29 November 1976.

14th century gilt-copper alloy spur found here by [1].
Identified by Museum of London.
Details and photo of spur in file.

(S1) for some reason refers to this as 'Site of Ashwicken Hall', so site was formerly confused with NHER 11979.
[1] indicated correct site to E. Rose (NAU) and stated that the field was locally known as Oldhall (but not Ashwicken Hall). Could there be any connection with Priors Hall which (S2) mentions under Gayton? Footings have been seen around cropmark.
Field under crop at time of visit but farmer is willing to allow field walking when ploughed.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 1 July 1981.

On (S3) as Old Hall Close.
Farm shown same as now.
NB. This has never been in Ashwicken, always Leziate.

Monument Types

  • BUILDING (Unknown date)
  • LINEAR FEATURE (Unknown date)
  • SITE (Unknown date)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • SPUR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF 7120E-F.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Serial: 1970. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries for 1970. No 17. p 3.
<S2>Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1961. Some Norfolk Halls. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXII pp 163-208.
<S3>Map: 1843. Ashwicken Tithe Map and Apportionment.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service