Record Details

NHER Number:11603
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Skeyton

Summary

This church is situated on a windy upland with fields all around. The church itself dates to the 13th century but the south porch dates to the 14th century and many of the nave windows are 15th century replacements. The north wall was demolished in the 15th century to widen the church so a large blocked tower arch with door inserted is off-centre. Inside the 19th century kingpost roof is visible, but older arched braces survive above the site of the rood screen. This was one of the first Norfolk churches to replace its box pews for benches and these survive along with an elaborate font and cover dating to 1846. Visitors should also take note of the Royal Arms of Victoria, as these are painted and gilt and survive in fine condition.

Images

  • All Saints' Church, Skeyton. Photograph from www.norfolkchurches.co.uk  © S. Knott

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2461 2570
Map Sheet:TG22NW
Parish:SKEYTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

28 September 1977. Visit by E. Rose (NAU).
Basically 13th century, although much conglomerate in tower, and forming southwest quoins of nave. Tower square, with lancets, though west belfry window only is Y-tracery. North and south doors date to around 1300. Blocked lancet behind 14th century south porch. Windows Perpendicular, with battlemented demi-transoms (the east window of 1887
attempts to imitate this and fails miserably, giving a squashed appearance. Northeast window blocked, 17th century brick in blocking. North wall demolished in 15th century to widen church (foundations found 1845) so large blocked tower arch with door inserted is off-centre. There is a reference in a notice on the wall to a 'side door' being discovered in 1910, but this is not clear. Upper rood door and traces of lower one; turret in brick. Ogee piscina and sedilia in window base in chancel. South priest's door half hidden by later buttress. 19th century kingpost roof, but older arched braces above site of rood screen. Old chest. Some old stained glass. Elaborate font and cover of 1846. 19th century memorial. Bell, 1577. Royal Arms in relief of Victoria. Original south door with iron knocker. Chalice, Norwich 1567, Paten 1638.
E. Rose (NAU) 28 September 1977.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG 2425A,B.
---Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
---Monograph: Mortlock, D. & Roberts, C.. 1981. The Popular Guide to Norfolk Churches, No.1. North-East Norfolk..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service