|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||North Barsham deserted medieval village|
Rectangular shaped enclosure earthworks and surrounding ditches in this field probably represent the house platforms of North Barsham deserted medieval village. They are visible on aerial photographs.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 917 349|
|Parish:||BARSHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
NAU aerial photography
In the tadpole shaped field lying between the river and the road south-east of North Barsham church; rectangular ditched enclosures, with in the 'head' of the 'tadpole' a raised circular platform. Possible traces of another nearby.
Probably North Barsham deserted medieval village.
18 October 1979.
These are visible as large earthworks on the ground, irregular mounds surrounded by ditches in pasture.
Earthworks in excellent condition, standing to 1m in places.
H. Paterson (NLA) 14 June 1993.
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DITCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE PLATFORM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOUND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- RECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SITE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF9132 A,B; TF9134 B,F; TF9135 E. |
Related records - none
Find out more...