Record Details

NHER Number:11524
Type of record:Monument
Name:Possible site of Bylaugh deserted medieval village


This may be the site of the village mentioned in the Domesday Book and later medieval documents. It had shrunk considerably by the mid 15th century and was fully abandoned later. The earthworks of a small group of enclosures and boundaries of possible medieval date are visible on aerial photographs to the north of this site (NHER 50974) and it is possible that the two sites are related.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0359 1852
Map Sheet:TG01NW

Full description

A medieval village at Bylaugh is mentioned in (S1) and (S2). It was assessed for 84/- tax in 1334, but only 8% of that in 1449 (S3), indicating that it had shrunken considerably by the 15th century, and was abandoned sometime later. Although believed to have been situated at this location, no evidence has yet been recorded. NAU aerial photographs show no cropmarks here, but the field was an Army camp until recently and therefore cropmarks might be misleading.
The field consists of two hills which would be unusual for a deserted medieval village site.
E. Rose (NAU), 23 September 1981.

NGR corrected from original TG 0363 1855.
M. Horlock (NLA), 26 March 2003.

March 2008. Norfolk NMP.
The earthworks of a small group of enclosures and boundaries of possible medieval date are visible on aerial photographs to the north of this site (NHER 50974). It is possible that these relate to the medieval settlement referred to above. Although it must be borne in mind that the area immediately surrounding the hall was used by the military during World War Two as a camp and that some of these features may be twentieth century in date.

A series of soilmarks are visible on aerial photographs within the area of this site (S4). The majority of these would appear to be geological in origin. However a plough-levelled banked enclosure may be visible to the immediate west of a clump of trees. It was decided not to map this feature as it was felt likely to represent the remains of the remains of a formerly larger area of tree plantation that had been removed when this part of the park was converted to arable cultivation. A number of trees are depicted on the Ordnance Survey first edition map for this area. Although it is feasible that it relates to a medieval enclosure associated with the probable settlement in this area.
Also see (S5)
S. Massey (NMP), 03 March 2008.

Monument Types

  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Publication: Brown, P (ed.). 1984. Domesday Book: Norfolk. Parts 1 and 2.
<S2>Monograph: Nomina Villarum..
<S3>Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 01 NW 8.
<S4>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 3G/TUD/UK/100 5225-7 30-MAR-1946 (NMR).
<S5>Article in serial: Horlock, S., Albone, J. and Tremlett, S. 2008. The Archaeology of Norfolk's Aggregate Landscape: Results of the National Mapping Programme. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLV Pt III pp 337-348.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service