Record Details

NHER Number:11301
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval brickworks/brick kiln

Summary

This is the supposed site of a post medieval brickworks. According to an informant the Suffolk type kiln lay to the north of this area and was filled in around 1959, with the rest of the area housing drying sheds. Conflicting mapping evidence make this assertion hard to prove and no traces of activity are visible at the site which has now been levelled and planted with trees.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 2306 9644
Map Sheet:TM29NW
Parish:SAXLINGHAM NETHERGATE, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Old brick kiln filled in around 1959 according to informant. First marked by Ordnance Survey in 1880 (NIAS records).
Site now all levelled and trees planted.
E. Rose (NAU) 3 September 1980.

(S1) shows kiln was in fact right at the north end of the area and remainder was taken up by drying sheds etc.
E. Rose (NAU) 28 June 1983.

Informant's 1984 dissertation shows however the remains of one kiln, apparently Suffolk type, said to be built in red brick English bond. Stated to be marked on (S1) but not on (S2).
E. Rose (NAU) 25 November 1985.

Site noted in Kelly's directory 1904 but not by 1925 (S3).
6ins O.S. maps mark site as a pit with no buildings by 1930 (S4).
NIAS records (S5)
W. Arnold HES 10/01/11

Monument Types

  • BRICK KILN (Modern - 1904 AD? to 1925 AD?)
  • BRICKWORKS (Modern - 1904 AD? to 1925 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25 inch 2nd edition (revised 1902-7).
<S2>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. 25 inch 1st edition. OS.
<S3>Directory: Kelly.
<S4>Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map..
<S5>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service