|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval kiln and multi period pottery sherds|
In 1974 a number of pottery sherds and pieces of clinker were found at this location. It is possible that this was the site of a coal-fired kiln for brick, tile or pottery. Further analysis of the finds identified pieces of a Saxon or medieval shelly ware, post medieval Glazed Red Earthenware and fragments of a bellarmine vessel.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6785 0840|
|Parish:||SHOULDHAM, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1974. On ploughed surface. 8m x 4m of brick, tile, 17th-18th century sherds, clinker. Site of coal-fired kiln for brick, tile or pottery?
Information from member of the public via KLM.
This is adjacent, on early 19th century tithe map, to Mr Catton's House 'Frogshall' now demolished.
E. Rose (NAU) 17 September 1979.
Finds shown to A. Gregory (NAU) and A. Rogerson (NAU) December 1985 and identified as follows.
One sherd Roman, Late Saxon or medieval shelly ware. Two medieval unglazed. Eight sherds Glazed Red Earthenware late 16th to 18th century. One bellarmine sherd. One medieval roof tile, one fragment clay pipe. Three handmade brick fragments. One fragment very shelly limestone Barnack?
Finds held by KLM.
E. Rose (NAU) 9 December 1985.
- BRICK KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POTTERY KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TILE KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WORKED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Shotesham. |
|<S1>||Serial: 1974. Council for British Archaeology Group 7 Bulletin of Archaeological Discoveries for 1974. No 21. p 8. |
Related records - none
Find out more...