Record Details

NHER Number:11081
Type of record:Monument
Name:Harold's or Herolf's Stone

Summary

Harold's or Herolf's Stone, or 'King Harold's mounting block' is said to be the stone on which the Danish chieftain Harold/Herolf stood to apportion land to local guids. Local stories suggest that the town of Harleston is named after this stone.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 2456 8336
Map Sheet:TM28SW
Parish:REDENHALL WITH HARLESTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Glacial erratic in alleyway (Stone Tenements).
Called 'Herolf's Stone' or 'Harold's Stone' or 'King Harold's mounting block' or stone on which Herolf/Harold stood to apportion land.
See (S1) and Bolingbroke Collection. Both stories suggest that the town is named after the stone.
It is a roughly rectangular recumbant granite block about 2 x 1 x 1m with indentations on top, situated in a pedestrian walkway.
E. Rose (NLA), 11 March 2003.
D. Gurney (NLA), 17 April 2008.

NGR corrected from original TM 2458 8338.
M. Horlock (NLA), 27 August 2003.

Monument Types

  • STANDING STONE (Unknown date)
  • STONE (Undated)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Article in serial: Dixon, S. E. 1916. Some Earthworks and Standing Stones in East Anglia, in relation to the Prehistoric Solar Cultus. Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society of East Anglia. Vol II Pt II (for 1915-16) pp 171-173. p 172.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service