|Type of record:||Monument|
A bridge, refered to as Shotford Bridge, was present on this site until the 1960s, when it was demolished for the construction of a new bridge to the west. In 1989 one springer remained, and the core of the brickwork was thought to date to the 16th or 17th century. In 1965 a medieval pot was recovered from the northern end of the bridge.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2469 8221|
|Parish:||REDENHALL WITH HARLESTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1965. Jug from River Waveney, found while diving into river near bridge. From area of Rouen, Caen? Has no base.
W. Milligan (NCM).
22 October 1965.
With reference to the jug in Guildhall Museum, it is from the late 13th century in refuse pit on site of St Swithin's House, Walbrook around 1950 to 1951. Caen. 
E. B. Green (NCM).
Photograph of Guildhall jug in NCM.
Shotford = Scotoford Domesday Book 1086
1989. Site visit.
The grid reference for the 1965 find is the north end of the old Shotford Bridge, demolished apparently in 1960s for new bridge to west. One springer remains, the core of brickwork which could be 16th or 17th century, the outer facing later. A two-metre slab of parapet lies on the bank. Chord of springer indicates bridge had several arches.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 July 1989.
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval to Cold War - 1540 AD to 1969 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||(No record type): Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Redenham with Harleston. |
Related records - none
Find out more...