|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||The Grange, medieval moated site|
At The Grange farm are the remains of a medieval moat, of which the east side and a central arm running east to west, survive. There are some earthworks associated with the road and site entrance that may be the remains of other parts of the moat.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 1612 8610|
|Parish:||TIVETSHALL ST MARY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
A 'Moat' is marked on the Ordnance Survey map (S1).
6 February 1980.
Visited by E. Rose.
Largely as depicted on (S1).
East side, turning towards west at north end; central arm running east to west joins east side and slightly curves north at west end. However these have been dug out very deeply for fishponds (especially at junction of two arms) and the material dumped to form bank along east side. The footbridge marked on (S1) across north and east arm is now a causeway, and the one on the central arm is gone.
No trace of a south arm or a south continuation of east arm. The ditch along road on west may represent a west arm; the interior is banked up high here, and at south end are earthworks in road verge as if of an entrance.
The orchard is now a paddock.
Moat forms part of landscaped gardens of Grove Farm, but is mostly unchanged from original 1980 description.
Compiled by H. Paterson (NLA), 11 July 1997.
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Tivetshall St Mary. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...