|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Boyland Hall and the Conduit, Bressingham|
A medieval timber framed and jettied house, dating to about 1500, built on the site of an earlier house. The house is moated, and the moat may date from the 13th century. The Conduit is a waterfilled channel leading to the moat, built in late 16th century brick. Blomfield describes the ruins of a bath house next to the Conduit in the early 18th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 085 843|
|Parish:||BRESSINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Timber framed and jettied house of about 1500 with dragon beam, moated.
Built on the site of an earlier hall, moat may date from 13th century.
Late 16th century brick vaults containing springs known as The Conduit.
Blomfield mentions the ruins of a bathing house and summerhouse close to The Conduit in 1739. Beyond the bath house he describes a open square bath with an arch leading to the moat.
See (S1) and (S2).
E. Rose (NAU) 30 September 1981.
See (S3) in file but farm buildings stated to be 19th century of little interest.
- SPRING (Unknown date)
- CONDUIT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SITE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CONDUIT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SITE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TM 0884A-D. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TM 0884F - G. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Photograph: BDA (conduit), BZC 21 (dragon beam). |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1981. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Unknown - USE SPECIFIC VOLUME WHERE KNOWN. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: UEA. 1986. Historic Farm Buildings Survey. |
Related records - none
Find out more...