Record Details

NHER Number:1084
Type of record:Building
Name:Site of St Mary's Church, Fulmodeston

Summary

This is the site of a church recorded in the Domesday Book. The present, ruined church, mostly dates to the medieval period. It was built in two phases and the tower was added in 1450 with delicately carved doorway and sound holes. The church was the parish church for Fulmodestone and is now in ruins.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 992 300
Map Sheet:TF93SE
Parish:FULMODESTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Ruined church of St Mary's, formerly parish church for Fulmodeston.
P. Wade-Martins (NAU).

Formerly scheduled, when it was described as still in use as a mortuary chapel, with good panelling inside. (S1) says the west tower has Y tracery in the bell openings and cupped sound holes; nave and chancel in one; east window with intersected tracery, but perhaps not original, and lancet in nave south wall.
E. Rose (NLA).

1981.
(S2) confirm information above for tower, and show also Perpendicular (15th century) west window and battlements, but west doorway same date as belfry windows, about 1300. Interior a featureless overgrown shell, no panelling now, stone quoins in walls, some sort of ?monument beside east window interior.
See (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 25 June 1981.

This is the site of a church recorded in the Domesday Book. The present, ruined church, mostly dates to the medieval period. It was built in two phases and the tower was added in 1450 with delicately carved doorway and sound holes. The church was the parish church for Fulmodestone and is now in ruins.
Information from (S1).
M. Dennis (NLA), 14 December 2005.

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF6599.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 93 SE 4.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 474.
---Unpublished Report: Wingate, M. 1992. Architect's Report for Norfolk County Council. St Mary's Church, Fulmodestone.
---Leaflet: The parish of Fulmodestone and its churches..
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Fulmodeston.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
<S1>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 42; p 51.
<S2>Photograph: Ashley, H.. G9696, G9702, G9706, G9707 and G10014. Fulmodestone, Norfolk.

Related records

MNO1312Related to: Church of St Mary FULMODESTON (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service