Record Details

NHER Number:10823
Type of record:Building
Name:St Mary's Church

Summary

This round-towered church dates mostly to around 1300 although there are 14th-15th century alterations. The northeast window is a much more recent addition, having arrived here from St Michael's, Southwark, in 1940. Several interesting 19th century gravestones can be observed in the churchyard.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 0191 8935
Map Sheet:TM08NW
Parish:ECCLES, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK
QUIDENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Round tower. Mostly dating to around 1300, with 14th-15th century additions.
See report and newspaper cutting (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 9 June 1980.

Monument Types

  • ROUND TOWERED CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WALL PAINTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TM 0189C,D.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TM 0189E - J.
---Unpublished document: Cattermole, P.. 2000. Inventory of church bells and bell-frames in Norfolk.
---Leaflet: St Mary the Virgin, Eccles and All Saints', Wilby..
---Monograph: Hart, S.. 2010. Medieval Church Window Tracery in England. pp 57, 76, 87.
---Leaflet: 1959. A guide to St. Mary the Virgin, Eccles..
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Photograph: BPD 20A.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Restoration in a belfry. 26 November.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service