|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Post medieval icehouse west of Eccles Hall|
This icehouse dates to the late 18th century and had a short, straight entrance passage that led to an inverted dome-shaped chamber. It might have been hard to fill as there is no source of water in the immediate vicinity. Recently it has been damaged with the entrance passage and part of the dome disappearing.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0155 8899|
|Parish:||QUIDENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Ice-house. West of Eccles Hall in woods.
(S1) describes it as late 18th century, brick with straight gault brick entrance walls with coping leading to short passage opening into interior of inverted flat-bottomed cone in header bond brickwork. Octagonal groin vault above.
No immediate source of ice - nearest water is The Carr 0.25 miles to the east, east of the Hall.
E. Rose (NAU) 2 December 1983.
Front of dome and entrance tunnel have gone. Builders rubble tipped here for some years has almost filled dome.
NIAS records (S2)
W. Arnold HES 25/01/11
- ICEHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S2>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
Related records - none
Find out more...