|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Devil's Oven Cave|
The duck decoy located here dates to the post medieval period. A site visit in 1985 found it surviving in a good condition, albeit slightly overgrown.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0389 8708|
|Parish:||QUIDENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
R. R. Clarke (NCM).
30 September 1985. Site visit by J. J. Wymer (NAU).
Found to be in good order although much overgrown and the artificial water channel made to its entrance silted up.
Arch of entrance has course of bricks, otherwise the structure is almost entirely flint. Arch is approximately 2m high and 6m wide. Funnel extends back about 10m (estimate) and is completely open. Soil heaped over the structure and a tall Scots Pine is growing on to top. Soil from the digging of the artifical channel is heaped between the east side of this channel and the nearby north-to-south feeder stream of the Mere. On this spoil is an old lime tree with a bole about 1m diameter. Whole surrounded by nettles, saplings, comfrey, elder and other trees.
J. J. Wymer (NAU) 30 September 1985.
See file for further details.
June 2012. Norfolk NMP.
This area was examined as part of the National Mapping Programme. It was possible to make out some evidence of possible earthworks on aerial photographs (S1), centred on TM 0389 8708, although it was impossible to tell whether they relate to this feature, and have not been mapped.
E. Bales (NMP), 27th June 2012.
- DECOY POND (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished Document: Thorogood, P.. 2000. Duck Decoys of Norfolk (UEA BA Dissertation ref HISH 3P2Y). |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Quidenham. |
|<S1>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1947. RAF CPE/UK/1938 3011-2 18-JAN-1947 (NMR). |
Related records - none
Find out more...