|Type of record:||Building|
Built in 1777, this country house was the home of the Kerrich family until 1930. The hall is two storeys high with dormer attics, built of grey and red brick with black pantile and slate roofs. The façade has five window bays, and a two storey wing to the rear gives the building an L-shaped plan. Alterations in the late 19th century saw the roof heightened, the entrance moved from the south front to the east side and the interior plan changed. Renovations from 1990, however, have returned the house to two storeys with dormer attics.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 3977 9247|
|Parish:||GELDESTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Built 1777, later altered. (S1).
Bronze Age gold strips found during construction. See NHER 42792.
See report (S2) on Hall and gold in file. (S2) copied to file for NHER 42792.
Architectural history (S3) and architect's renovation plans (S4) in file. Press cuttings (S5) to (S11) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 2 December 1982.
The family home of Thomas Kerrich, built in 1777. The last Kerrich sold up in 1930. Simple, when built, with a five bay façade and three bay return, of two storeys and a hipped roof with dormers. L shaped plan, with a two storey wing to the rear. The main (entrance) front is to the south. The Hall is constructed of grey and red brick, partly colour washed, with a black pantile and slate roof. During the 19th century, probably in about 1880, the parapet was raised in height to form a further half storey above a thin cornice engulfing the dormers, the porch was removed from the south front and a new entrance made in the east return. At the same time a tripartite window was inserted in the south front and the interior plan altered. The surprisingly bold staircase is all late Victorian. Renovations of 1990 to 1991 have returned the house to two storeys and a dormer attic and substituted a partly balustraded parapet for the cornice. Information from (S12).
P. Aldridge (NLA), 21 December 2005.
June 2011. Planning Application.
Alterations to provide two storey staff accomodation.
See (S13) for further details.
Z. Dack (HES), 27 June 2012.
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TM3992 C. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Bronze Age. Geldeston . |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1977. Building Report.. 3 August. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: Wilson, W. D.. 1990. Geldeston Hall, An Architectural History. July. |
|<S4>||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: 1988. Eastern Daily Press. 1 June. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: 1989. Eastern Daily Press. 31 March. |
|<S7>||Newspaper Article: 1989. Eastern Daily Press. 1 April. |
|<S8>||Newspaper Article: 1989. Eastern Daily Press. 14 April. |
|<S9>||Newspaper Article: 1989. Eastern Daily Press. 8 August. |
|<S10>||Newspaper Article: 1989. Eastern Daily Press. 30 August. |
|<S11>||Newspaper Article: 1989. Eastern Daily Press. 22 September. |
|<S12>||Serial: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B.. 1989. The Buildings of England. Norfolk 2: North-West and South.. |
|<S13>||Unpublished document: Borough Council of King's Lynn & West Norfolk. 2013. Planning application.. 13/00320/F. |
|42792||Parent of: Bronze Age gold strips (Find Spot)|
Find out more...