Record Details

NHER Number:10502
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Belton with Browston

Summary

A medieval parish church consisting of a nave and chancel. The south porch was added in the 15th century. The west tower was rebuilt in 1849 when restoration was carried out. The church is of flint and stone, with a tiled roof. Inside, the church has a Purbeck marble font from the 13th century, and late 14th century wall paintings.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 4855 0294
Map Sheet:TG40SE
Parish:BELTON WITH BROWSTON, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK

Full description

A medieval parish church consisting of a nave and chancel. The south porch was added in the 15th century. The west tower was rebuilt in 1849 when restoration was carried out. The church is of flint and stone, with a tiled roof.
Inside, the church has a Purbeck marble font from the 13th century, and late 14th century wall paintings.
P. Aldridge (NLA) 29 July 2005.

On (S1), late 17th century, this is shown as Belton Chapel, though it has always been a parish church.
E. Rose (NAU), 4 October 1999.

1987. Architectural survey.
The remains of the old font is probably dates from the Saxon period and church records mention that a church stood here during the reign of Henry I (AD 1100). It is possible that the church was altered and restored during the reign of Edward III (AD 1327) and a sculpture of Edward and Queen Philippa is inserted into the arch of the south porch. It was during the 19th century restoration that the present Purbeck Marble font was restored and its broken pillars replaced. While this work was undertaken the old Saxon font was discovered beneath the current font.
See (S2).
S. Howard (HES), 27 October 2011.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SITE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG 4802D.
---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Photograph: 1993. Photographs of All Saints' church, Belton with Browston.. Colour.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. A head for heights get the job done. 7 January.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Radcliffe, E. 1974. Suffolk. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 96-97.
<S1>Documentary Source: Ogilby, J.. 1675. Britannia, volume the first: or an illustration of the kingdom of England and dominion of Wales by a geographical and historical description of the principal roads thereof.. British Library. C.6.d.8..
<S2>Unpublished Document: 1987. Extract from the architectural survey of All Saints' Church, Belton with Browston, Norfolk..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service