|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Caldecot or Bell Hill Mill|
A brick tower drainage mill, built in 1844. The mill ceased working in the 1930s, the sails and fan being removed shortly afterwards. The interior was gutted by fire in 1991, and today, only the brick tower remains, boarded up with a flat tin roof instead of its original boat shaped cap. A modern drainage pump has been set in the ground next to the tower.
Images - none
Drainage wind pump. Marked on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU).
July 1988. Listed, Grade II.
Drainage windpump. Late 19th century. 3 storey tapering tarred brick tower with iron bands at each floor level. Temporary aluminium cap. Doors to east and west under segmental arches. One window over each door, that to east blocked. Curb track and rack with track and centering wheels. Remains of petticoat. Cast iron brakewheel, windshaft, and wallower. Timber upright shaft. Cast iron pitwheel. Brakewheel and pitwheel of clasp arm type. Pitwheel drives shaft to external pump housed in 20th century timber outbuilding.
Information from (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 21 July 2005.
1991. Gutted by fire destroying timber upright shaft and pit wheel. See (S3) In file.
E. Rose (NLA).
Bell Hill Mill tower mill, dated 1844.
Ceased working in the late 1930s and lost its sails and fan shortly after that. Disused with cap and gear in place. There were four patent sails and a scoop wheel.
The boat shaped cap had a fantail. The cap roof is now missing.
OS Records. R.J.Rickett 8 May 1990.
April 2005. Building Survey.
Condition survey undertaken as part of Broadland Flood Alleviation Project.
See report (S4) for further details.
P. Watkins (HES), 10 March 2015.
(S5) notes it was repaired 1937 by Arthur Thrower, who put iron bands round the tower, fitted a new stock and recogged the pit wheel.
E. Rose (NLA), 25 November 2005.
- DRAINAGE MILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1780 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG 4602A - D. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Dolman, P.C.J.. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Radcliffe, E. 1974. Suffolk. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 97. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051009. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1991. Arson suspected as windpump wrecked by fire. 23 March. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Report: Philpot, M. and Merrick, D. 2005. Built Heritage Condition Survey Report - BHCSR01. Caldecott Drainage Mill. Built Heritage Condition Survey Report. |
|<S5>||Article in Serial: Allard, P.. 2005. William T. England, Yarmouth Millwright. Yarmouth Archaeology. |
Related records - none
Find out more...