Record Details

NHER Number:10459
Type of record:Building
Name:St Ethelbert's Church, Mundham

Summary

Only the ruined chancel of this medieval parish church is still standing, and the remains probably date from the 13th or 14th centuries. St Ethelbert's is recorded as having a Rector in 1305, but by 1593 it was served by a curate and the church was abandoned in 1749. Post medieval coins have been found in the churchyard during metal detecting.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 3317 9775
Map Sheet:TM39NW
Parish:MUNDHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Ruins of St Ethelbert's Church, mentioned in 1224 and 1360.
In 1978 metal detecting found inside south churchyard wall sovereign penny of Henry VIII, first or second coinage (1509-1543). Episcopal mint of Durham, struck by Bishop Tunstall (c.1530 - 1550). Date of issue therefore about 1530 to 1543.
For Harborne grave 1617 and details see (S1).
Appropriate section of (S2) in file.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PARISH CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 39 NW 3.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 551.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Mundham.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Article in Serial: 1984. [unknown]. Yarmouth Archaeology. Vol II, p 1.
<S2>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 76; p 52.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service