|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible site of Old Seething Hall|
According to a map of 1797 ‘Seething Hall’ stood here. However, a map of 1826 marked it as the site of the hall, presumably meaning it had been demolished between 1797 and 1826. In 1996 a house platform with medieval brick evident on one corner was discovered with a series of degraded pond-like depressions in the southeast. It is possible these depressions relate to fish ponds associated with Old Seething Hall.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 3218 9778|
|Parish:||SEETHING, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
'Site of hall' - OS (but see NHER 10442).
(S1) indicates hall standing, apparently on this site. But Bryant's map has 'scite of Seething Hall' indicating that it was demolished between 1797 and 1826.
E. Rose (NAU).
James I shilling. See list in file.
Identified by J. Davies (NCM) 30 September 1992.
W. Milligan (NCM) 11 November 1992.
July 1996. Field Observation.
House platform with medieval brick evident on one corner, with further parchmark to south.
Field has truncated enclosure ditches, as well as a series of degraded pond-like depressions in southeast. Fishponds?
To be surveyed 1996/7 under Norfolk Earthwork Survey.
Field to west to be looked at, at time of survey, as possibly includes features related to the old hall.
B. Cushion (NLA) July 1996.
November 1996. Earthwork Survey.
Survey at 1:1000.
Indicates building platform, enclosures and possible fish ponds associated with Seething Old Hall.
Mapped with NHER 10442.
See report (S2) for further details. This site is amongst those included in (S3) and the survey is also noted in (S4).
B. Cushion (NLA) November 1996. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 21 March 2017.
July 2007. Norfolk NMP.
The earthworks described above are not particularly clear on any of the consulted aerial photographs. Nothing can be added to the plan and interpretation published by Cushion and Davison (S3). A few additional features may be visible on a number of the photographs (S5)-(S6) but their archaeological origin and significance is uncertain. Consequently no features have been mapped by the NMP.
S. Tremlett (NMP), 29 July 2007.
- DRAINAGE DITCH (Unknown date)
- FISHPOND (Unknown date)
- RECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Unknown date)
- GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE PLATFORM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 39 NW 7. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Seething. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Report: Cushion, B. 1996. Seething SMR 10442 & 10443. Earthwork Survey Report. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Cushion, B. and Davison, A. 2003. Earthworks of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 104. pp 120-123; Fig 81. |
|<S4>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1997. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1996. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt IV pp 547-564. p 558. |
|<S5>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1429 3205-6 16-APR-1946 (NMR). |
|<S6>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1971. OS/71302 057-8 29-JUN-1971 (NMR). |
Related records - none
Find out more...